Five Ways to Save a Bad Morning
We've all been there: tired, late and rushed mornings. So what can you do to stop this apparently endless cycle?
You've asked your kids to brush their teeth and put on their shoes at least a million times, but they're still shoeless and have morning breath. Then it's a disastrous email from work, everyone is running late, and you've reheated your coffee three times and now you can't find it. It's not even 9 AM and you are done with this morning--done! But before you blow a gasket--or even after you do, there's still time to salvage a horrible morning so you can send everyone off to school or work on a positive, happy note. It's not always easy, but these steps can help you to save a bad morning.
- Give Yourself a Time-Out- Just like your kids need a time-out when they make a bad choice or need to cool down, give yourself a little time too. Even when you're rushed and the morning is chaotic, taking just a minute to yourself to regroup and calm down can help save a bad morning and the rest of the day.
- Hug It Out- If your kids are the ones having a rough morning, offer up your hugs and patience. Sit next to your kids, give them a hug, and distract them with a funny story or a memory of when they were little. It's a perfect way to bring them back from a frustrating time, allows them to cool down, and who doesn't love some extra snuggles from your kiddos.
- Hand Out Jobs- If you're having a bad morning, start handing out jobs to make your life a little easier. If it's your kids having a bad morning, give them small jobs that with distract them and make the feel important. Be sure to make a fuss over their good work. It will make them and you feel better.
- Ask Yourself "Is This Worth It?"- Yes, your patience is running thin and we are all running on not enough sleep and too much to do, but sometimes we need to reevaluate our actions and think "is this a fight worth choosing?" or "what happens if I just let this go?" Sometimes this is easier said than done, but if you want to turn a bad morning around, choose a few battles to abandon.
- Cut Yourself Some Slack- Even if there seems to be no turning back on an awful morning, before you send your kids or your partner out the door, remind them that despite a hectic and stressful morning, you still love them. Even if the morning is a complete disaster, cut yourself some slack because there are plenty of mornings that are peaceful and calm, and tomorrow is another day.
Originally posted on TLCme